Warm Up This Season With Five Maca Recipes for Fall
Maca root has been cultivated in the highlands of Peru for over 2,000 years. It's still utilized as both food and medicine. The ancient Inca regarded maca as a "miracle remedy," touting its powerful ability to boost energy levels while supporting sexual health, libido and vitality. Given maca's nutty, butterscotch flavor and numerous health benefits, why not try out some delicious warming maca recipes for fall?
Hot Chocolate Maca
This classic treat is given a nutritious twist, making it one of the maca recipes for fall you'll want to try first. (Makes 2 servings.)
a pinch of salt
Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk the mixture vigorously to break up all of the clumps. Serve immediately. If desired, sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, cloves, or nutmeg on top before enjoying.
Maca-Infused Turmeric Tea
Turmeric is a potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, making it the perfect accompaniment to maca. If you add a pinch of black pepper, the compounds in the pepper will help your body absorb the active ingredients of turmeric. (Makes 2 servings.)
2 cups coconut milk or other non-dairy milk
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 teaspoons maca powder
2 teaspoons honey or other sweetener
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
a pinch of black pepper (optional)
- Combine the coconut milk, maca powder, turmeric, cinnamon and nutmeg in a blender and blend on high speed. Alternatively, you could blend it with a whisk in the saucepan.
- Warm the mixture over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- When the tea is hot, but not boiling, add the coconut oil and honey. Stir.
- If desired, you can filter the tea through a cheesecloth to remove any undissolved spice. Otherwise, simply serve and enjoy!
Pumpkin Hot Chocolate
This is one of the most autumnal and delicious maca recipes for fall, combining two classic cold-weather foods: pumpkin and hot chocolate. Although the original recipe does not call for any sweetener, you can add honey or maple syrup to taste. (Makes 2 servings.)
2 cups milk or unsweetened non-dairy milk
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons maca powder
- Combine the pumpkin puree and the milk in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the spices and the maca powder. Serve hot.
Warming Vegan Smoothie
This vegan maca smoothie makes a great accompaniment to breakfast, or heated up for a thick and creamy hot fall drink. (Makes 6 servings.)
6 cups non-dairy milk or green tea
1 banana (frozen, if desired)
a handful of nuts
3 tablespoons raw chocolate powder
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon maca powder
1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
a pinch of sea salt
a pinch of cayenne pepper
- Process all of the ingredients in a blender until the mixture is smooth.
- If you like, you can heat it up for a warm smoothie drink.
1 1/4 cups milk or unsweetened non-dairy milk
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon maca powder, or to taste
- Blend all of the ingredients in a blender, or use a whisk.
- Pour into a saucepan over medium-low heat. Serve when it has become hot.
One of the Yummiest Maca Recipes for Fall: Pumpkin Maca Pie
This pumpkin maca pie is based on another recipe, but we think it's even better with extra maca, so every slice offers a powerful maca boost. (Makes 8 servings.)
1 9 1/2-inch cooked pie crust
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
1 cup cashews
1/2 cup maca powder
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon coconut butter
1/4 cup toasted coconut flakes
1/4 cup milk or non-dairy milk
1 tablespoon chopped crystallized ginger
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon vanilla flavor stevia liquid, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
a pinch of allspice
- In a blender at high speed, combine the cashews, coconut butter, ginger, milk, pumpkin puree, stevia, water and spices until very smooth.
- Stir the maca powder into the blended mixture.
- Fill the pie crust with the filling and spread evenly.
- In a small bowl, combine the crystallized ginger and coconut. Sprinkle this mixture over the top of the pie.
- Chill the pie for several hours before serving.